Vikram Hospital’s Department of Neurosciences combines the expertise of the best neurosurgery, neurology, neuro-oncology and interventional neuro-radiology specialists with state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment and advanced surgical technology to offer the most effective treatment to our patients.
With more than 100 years of combined experience, our experts’ vast knowledge enables them to provide the simplest of solutions for highly complex neurological problems.
In a short span, our neuro-surgical team has performed more than seven hundred brain and spine surgeries of complex nature. Thus, we live up to the promise of delivering the highest standards of healthcare.
- Asia’s first installation of the ultrasound based, intra-operative 3D image guidance advanced system called SONOWAND from Elekta of Sweden. This is of great benefit for patients with brain tumours, Grade 1 tumours, where it is sometimes challenging and difficult to remove the entire tumour.
- Dedicated Neuro-Intensive Care Unit: The Neuro-Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Vikram Hospital offers the advanced levels of tertiary neuroscience care in India.
Treatments and ProceduresTumours of Brain / Spinal Cord
- Gliomas of all grades
- Posterior fossa tumours
- Pituitary adenomas
- Intraventricular tumours
- Intramedullary Spinal tumours
- Acoustic Schwannomas
- Cerebrovascular Surgery
- Aneurysms, AVM's, Cavernomas
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Cerebral Revasularisation Bypass
- Tethered cord
- Spinal lipomas
- Childhood Brain tumours
- Epilepsy and movement disorders
- Biopsy of deep seated lesions
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) for Parkinson’s disease
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS) for refractory Epilepsy
- Neuroendoscopy and minimally invasive neurosurgery
- Carniovertebral junction and spine disorders including minimally invasive spine surgery
- Interventional Neuro-radiology - coiling of Aneurysms, AV malformations, treatment of CCF (Carotid Cavernous Fistula), Dural AV malformations, Carotid stenting.
- Focal resection
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS)
- Gamma Knife stereotactic surgery
- Intracranial grid electrodes
About Neuro-Epilepsy Centre
Vikram Hospital has the most comprehensive programs for Epilepsy treatment. We are committed to our epilepsy patients, and offer them the diagnosis and treatment that work well and help them to lead a normal life. Our experts will identify a personalized treatment plan depending on the type of epilepsy you have and get you back to normal life as soon as possible.
If you are considered for surgery, rigorous monitoring will be done to locate the area where your seizures begin and to see precisely how many seizures you are having and from which part of your brain. Our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit is fully equipped and customized to take care of the monitoring process and help monitor your seizure activity accurately.
Other diagnostic equipment such as EEG, MRI, VEEG, CT/PET, Wada Test, fMRI, SPECT, Electrocorticography and Invasive Monitoring to identify epileptogenic areas of the brain and allow our neurologist to map brain function are of world-class standards.Why Choose Us?
Epilepsy Department at Vikram Hospital is another area of excellence we’ve with respect to Epilepsy and Movement Disorders. Dr. S. Raghavendra & Dr. Rajesh B. Iyer, Neuro-Epileptologist, having put in tremendous amount of work and has tremendous passion for the care and cure of epilepsy which affects 1 per cent of the population.
Our path-breaking innovations such as implantation of electrodes into the brain to investigate seizure abnormality have resolved three-fourth of most complex epilepsy cases that we do.
At Vikram hospital, managing medical emergencies through multidisciplinary team approach for both adults and children having epilepsy disorders is very well tailored. Team of neurologist, neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists and epilepsy nurses are specially trained to recognize seizures, care for patients with seizures and keep them safe.
Our neurologists and neurosurgeons are experts and highly experienced in anti-epileptic drug therapy and surgical treatments of epilepsy. They have controlled and even permanently stop, disabled seizure disorders in epilepsy patients and have helped them to lead normal lives.
Epilepsy is a complex problem to treat in patients whose seizures aren’t controlled by anti-epileptic medication. In such cases epilepsy surgery offers the possibility of seizure control. The team at Vikram Hospital is highly-skilled and does brain surgery on a regular basis and treat patients with seizure disorders that were unresponsive to medications using advance techniques such as less invasive surgical techniques using MRI guidance, which helps in performing epilepsy surgeries through smaller incisions, resulting in less discomfort and faster recovery.
Neurologists and neurosurgeons work together to determine the best recommendation for each patient’s individual situation. Our advanced brain imaging options make it possible to precisely locate seizure focal areas before and during surgery, resulting in the best treatment outcomes for our patients.Diagnosing Epilepsy: